Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sandwiches


Sandwich ingredients
A vegetable sandwich to many probably sounds gross. If you are picturing something soggy that tastes like grass than you are eating the wrong sandwich! This sandwich has great texture and flavor. I like to use a whole grain bread and a bit of ranch dressing for flavor. A lot of people like to put pepper on top of the cucumber.





Finished sandwich
For this sandwich I used:
Several spinach leaves
1/2 cup of alfalfa sprouts
1/2 of an avocado
2 slices of tomato
4 slices of cucumber
2 slices whole grain bread





 



The next sandwich I tried is great for people who want to try to eat more vegetables, but really enjoy some meat on their sandwich. 
Hybrid meat & veggie sandwich
For this sandwich I used an Italian sandwich roll. It has a great taste but is less healthy than the whole grain bread. It's a good transition sandwich for someone working their way from an unhealthy food palate to a better one. 


I used:
1/2 cup spinach leaves
1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
2 slices tomato
1/2 avocado
4 slices of cucumber
4 slices low sodium turkey 





The last sandwich is the least healthy of them all, but very tasty. I want to show you that even if you want to eat cheese and  meat and white bread, you can choose options that have better nutritional value than you would normally pick. 



Turkey sandwich with cheese
For this sandwich I still wanted to use some greens. I also used low sodium, low fat turkey meat. This is going to be better for you than piling on bacon or roast beef. I also eat my sandwich "dry" which means I'm not using mayo, mustard, etc. It tastes the same to me without the condiments and I know I save on calories. I also use 1 piece of cheese cut in half. I have noticed a lot of places that sell sandwiches will place 4-5 slices of cheese on one sandwich and that is just way too much.


I used:
1/2 cup spinach leaves
4 slices turkey
2 tomato slices
1 piece of colby jack cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment